423 Squadron RAF (RCAF)
- This was one of two RCAF squadrons to fly Sunderlands.
- The Squadron was formed at Oban on May 18, 1942.
- The Squadron moved to Lough Erne (Castle Archdale) on Nov. 3, 1942.
- On Aug 3, 1945 the Squadron moved to Bassingbourn to equip with Liberators as a Transport Command Squadron.
- This file list the details of the operation flights of F/O R. T. McDowell while with 423 Squadron at Castle Archdale.
- F/O R. T. McDowell was a pilot in the RCAF, and was from Thunder Bay, Ontario.
- It covers the period June 13, 1944 to May 23, 1945.
- The information has been transcribed from photocopies of the 423 Squadron ORB taken from microfilm held by the National Archives of Canada, Ottawa.
- Philip Nash served as ground crew with 423 Squadron, and was "mentioned in dispatches" for his service.
- His Grandson recorded some of Phil's remembrances of his service life as a school project; they both have kindly allowed us to share the story on the web.
(His story in PDF format)
If you have any comments, please e-mail me.
Robert(at)rquirk.com [replace "(at)" with @]
Return to Home Page
Last updated May 13, 2012